Our history

A Brief History of The Anglican Church in Poland

A summary

“The history of the Anglican presence in Poland goes back to the sixteenth and seventeenth century when chaplains were attached to embassies sent by Tudor queens and Stuart kings to Poland. There were also chaplains with the merchant communities at Gdansk and Ebląg. The Warsaw (and other) chaplaincies developed considerably in the Nineteenth century, although in the teeth of obstruction by Tsarist authorities, and flourished under the restored Republic, building a large chapel complex near the present PAN building in the 1920’s. This complex was badly damaged by enemy action in 1939 and remains vacant. The site was confiscated under the post-war regime.
Services were maintained in the 1970’s and 1980’s and it became possible for a priest from the Episcopal Church in the United States of America (ECUSA) to take regular services in the 1990’s. The Church of England Diocese of Europe was able to send a full-time priest to Warsaw in 1997 and weekly services have been held continuously since then.”

Dr Joseph Donnelly.

 

A brief history in dates
1707-1807
Anglican church established in Danzig. Until hit by French fire.
1809
Foundation of The London Society for Promoting Christianity Among Jews (LSPJ)
1816
British and Foreign Bible Society set up in Warsaw
1821 LSPJ sets up its first mission in Warsaw under Rev. Lewis Way
Affiliate missions set up in Piotr Tribunalski, Radom, Lublin, Poznan, Częstochowa, Kalisz and Kielce.
1867
Chaplaincy in free city of Danzig set up.
1854 Crimean War. Tsar Nicolas invades Poland. Anglicans leave Poland. Their property confiscated. 300 Baptism of Jews. Warsaw missions survives under aegis of the Reformed Church
1875
Anglicans return to Warsaw. Under Rev. Carpenter 345 conversions.
1918
Anglican mission becomes Anglican Church.
1919
Re-born Poland. Anglican Church legalised but not yet secured rights of a denomination. Tolerated but not recognised.
1922
Anglicans hire R.C. chapel on Hortenska Street in Warsaw. First Anglican service in Polish.
1925
Rev. Carpenter begins plans to build Anglican mission centre and Emmanuel Chapel in Sewerynów Street.
1926
Anglican Barbican Mission set up in Białystok
1927
Consecration of the chapel on Sewerynów 3, Emmanuel, by the Bishop of Fulham, Stanton Batty.
1930 Relationship formed with official Reformed Church who represent the Anglicans in legal matters
1939 German invasion. Capitulation of Warsaw. Chapel hit badly by enemy fire. Under Hitler’s Nuremburg Laws all Anglicans of Jewish blood arrested, carted off into the Warsaw Ghetto and subsequently many are then murdered at Treblinka. British Embassy folds. Many Jewish Anglicans escape.
1945 People’s Poland. Remains of the building on Sewerynów Street 3 destroyed by The Office for The Reconstruction of The Capital. Employees Union built in its place.
1948-1991 Anglican Church attempts to reclaim Emmanuel. But the Church not recognised by Soviet government.
Inter-Church Regulatory Commission set up.
1950-1960
Anglican chaplains to Warsaw provided by Windsor Boy’s School in Hamm, Germany
1995
British Embassy sets up a Chaplaincy based in British School under Rev. David Williams
1996 Chaplaincy is offered use of Res Sacra Miser Chapel (of Caritas) on Krakowskie Przedmieście Street. Anglican Church recognised and registered by the Polish Republic. Property claim revived.
1997
Revd. Williams retires. Replaced by Revd. Stuart Robertson.
2002
Revd. Stuart Robertson translates much of Common Worship into Polish.
2005
Revd. Robertson retires. Rev. Robert Campbell becomes assistant chaplain. 10th anniversary of the Chaplaincy
2014
Revd. David Brown becomes chaplain: Revd Robert Gamble is Proboszcz and Felix Izuchukwu is assisting priest

Download file here to read “A Brief History of The Anglican Church in Poland”

Comments are closed.